7 Quick Takes Friday - April 29, 2011
Thanks to Jen for hosting.
1. Babies! Babies! Babies! In addition to my new nephew Carter (who has his own blog -- click here to see how adorable he is!), and our own bundle of joy, I have a new niece! Adlee Beth was born early Wednesday morning, weighing in at 7lbs 5oz. Big brother Mason and proud parents Bethany (my little sister) & Andrew are thrilled.
2. Is it just me... or is pregnancy contagious in the blogosphere recently? I'm pregnancy buddies with Monica at Celebrating a Simple Life, Joy Beyond the Cross, Nicole at Mom & Then Some (who has TWINS on the way!), and Rebecca at Shoved to Them. Then there's Carla who is "paper pregnant" and is hoping to bring Henry home this summer. I think there may be a few others whom I'm forgetting, too. We are all due in December (well, except Carla -- I hope Henry is home much sooner)! Plus, I found out that one of my friends here in Phoenix (a former co-worker) is also expecting and is due a few days after me. Babies, babies everywhere!
3. Speaking of Nicole from Mom and Then Some, I interviewed her for my latest post at Catholic Phoenix. Thanks, Nicole!!!
4. I'm doing okay symptom-wise. Last week was tough -- nausea and vomiting hit with a vengeance last Thursday night. I truly did fast on Good Friday as I couldn't keep anything down, not even crackers and ginger ale. I called my OB's office and begged for relief, as I really didn't want an ER visit for IV fluids. I went down that road with Elanor and William, and it wasn't fun. Bless their hearts, they called in prescription for generic Zofran. MAGICAL STUFF. It kept me functioning all weekend, which was good because we hosted Easter at our house and my dad was visiting.
I haven't needed a dose for the past few days, so I'm hoping I'm over the worst of the nausea. However, that makes me nervous that something is wrong, so I'm anxiously awaiting my ultrasound on May 10. (Incidentally, Rebecca at Shoved to Them has a marvelous post called Why We Tell regarding early pregnancy announcements.)
That reminds me of my favorite Prayer to Avoid Miscarriage to St. Catherine of Siena (it's her feast day today!):
Humble Virgin and Doctor of the Church, in thirty-three years you achieved great perfection and became the counselor of Popes.
You know the temptations of mothers today as well as the dangers that await unborn infants. Intercede for me that I may avoid miscarriage and bring forth a healthy baby who will become a true child of God. Also pray for all mothers, that they may not resort to abortion but help bring a new life into the world. Amen.
Even though the nausea is less, the first-trimester fatigue has arrived, and that's making things tough. It's all I can do to drag myself to/from work every day, and when I get home all I want to do is collapse and sleep for about 16 hours straight.
5. I'm not obsessed with the royals or anything -- I didn't DVR the wedding because I'm content to look at pictures and watch YouTube clips -- but I have to admit that Kate looks beautiful. I thought her dress was lovely, and modest, too. I hope they have a long and fruitful marriage. I found this prayer while Googling:
Catholic Bishops Conference Prayer for the Royal Wedding
we ask your blessing
upon his Royal Highness, Prince William and Catherine
as they pledge their love for each other in marriage.
May your love unite them through their lives.
Grant them the strength to serve you, our country and the Commonwealth
with integrity and faithfulness.
Through Christ our Lord.
6. Violet has learned to say "No!" and my daycare lady reports that she is also throwing temper tantrums that involve hurling toys in various directions. It's the Terrible Twos and she's barely even 1.... Lord, help us.
7. Can I ask for some prayers for health? Violet's had diarrhea for the last few weeks. We've taken her to the doctor (diagnosis: rotavirus) and have been on the phone with Ask-a-Nurse several times. No matter what we do, it won't go away. She's also vomited occasionally (actually, rather spectacularly at times) and last night William threw up all over me. Sick kids + tired and nauseous mama = tough week.
Click here to order The Catholic Working Mom’s Guide to Life , released May 28, 2019 by Our Sunday Visitor Press. My blog, The Catholic ...
It's frustrating to "like" a pro-life Facebook page, only to later read a post that directly attacks my Church, my faith and m...
Emerging from my blogging hiatus to address a particularly tiresome article from the "holier-than-thou" Church brigade. This tim...
I hate to break my blog fast with bad news, but it's 2:30 in the morning and I ate too much Halloween candy before bed. That's not ...