7 Quick Takes Friday - May 27, 2011
Thanks to Jen for hosting.
1. I'm so excited for this weekend! Collin is between university classes and has Monday off. That means we will have two whole days (Sunday and Monday) to spend together, and he won't have schoolwork to do! Tomorrow morning I'm taking the kids to the Surprise Memorial Day parade; otherwise, we're going to stay at home and have a nice little "staycation" this weekend.
2. I'm listening to the audiobook of Before Green Gables, and while it's well written and interesting, it's also rather depressing. I expected that given the subject matter (Anne Shirley's life prior to Green Gables), but it's hard to listen to given how sad it is. I don't want to stop, though, since it is a good book. It does remind me that I want to get the new book The Blythes Are Quoted, probably on Kindle.
3. I finally got Violet's 1-year pictures back. Here are a few of my favorites (all photos were taken by Our365 Photography):
4. I'm 11 weeks today, and it still baffles me that people (e.g., pro-choice people) can say that the little child growing inside me is nothing but a "ball of cells." (Yes, I actually read a comment thread today in which a pro-choicer called an 11-week fetus a "ball of cells.")
5. Speaking of, I wrote a post for Catholic Phoenix earlier this week called, "I Can't Believe I Have to Explain This," about another baffling pro-choice belief.
6. I'm loving our new daycare. William has used the potty every day he's been there, and he's starting to do the same at home, too! At this rate, he'll be fully potty-trained by the end of summer. Woohoo!
7. In remembrance of all our deceased veterans:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Click here to pre-order The Catholic Working Mom’s Guide to Life , coming May 28, 2019 from Our Sunday Visitor Press. My blog, The Catho...
Forgive me, this is going to be a long one. Yet again, Pope Francis is being attacked for reiterating the teaching of the Catholic Church...
I think I've finally been able to pin down why I'm so bothered about the reaction to the Pope's infamous "rabbits" com...
Let's celebrate! Sadly, I don't think I'd like this drink -- I'm not a fan of gin and I don't like olives. But I ...