7 Quick Takes Friday - August 26, 2011
Thanks to Jen for hosting.
1. 24 weeks today! Hello, viability! Not that I'm worried about an extremely premature birth, but it's nice to know that Baby's chances of surviving and thriving outside the womb, should something happen, are improving day by day.
2. Not to turn this into yet another ranty Quick Takes, but I'm peeved about two bits of news I got at my appointment on Tuesday. my next appointment at 27 weeks and change is the glucose test. They've changed the test so that now it's a TWO-hour wait instead of one hour, and I have to fast from midnight on. I'm not a very happy camper about that; it just seems so contrived. I had to schedule the appointment for 1pm due to my work schedule, so how is fasting for twelve hours and then drinking a super-sugary drink an accurate reflection of how my body processes glucose? Wouldn't it be more accurate for me to eat normally and then wolf down a couple Twix bars (yum), and THEN test my glucose level? I don't get it.
3. I also have to go in the following week (the week after my glucose test) to get the RhoGam shot. They can't do it at the same appointment as my glucose test, apparently, because my OB has a new policy that all patients have to have their blood drawn and sent to the (out-of-office) lab for confirmation of Rh- type before getting it. Which, for new patients, I understand. However, I was this same doctor's patient while pregnant with Violet (he delivered her, AND ordered both of the RhoGam shots I had during and after my pregnancy with her), and I really doubt that my blood type has changed from O- to something else in the last two years. It just seems like a waste of everyone's time and my insurance company's money.
4. Anyway, I know in the grand scheme of things there are a lot worse problems to have, but still. It's annoying. In other news, I finally took my first belly shot for this pregnancy a few days ago:
Here's hoping that I don't get mistaken for Shamu while at Sea World (ba dum bum ching!).
5. Babies "R" Us is having a trade-in sale! I'm thrilled because we hung on to Violet's old infant car seat hoping that they'd have one of these promotions eventually. Now we can get rid of her old one and buy a new car seat for the baby, with a decent discount attached. I'm thinking of maybe trading in the stroller too and just getting a whole new travel system... the stroller still works fine but it is getting kind of old and beat up (we've had it since 2004). I'll have to see what Collin wants to do, though.
6. We leave for our summer vacation one week from today! Woohoo! I'm ready for a break.
7. I can't think of anything else to write, so I'm going to post a commercial from YouTube that both Collin and I thoroughly enjoyed:
Click here to order The Catholic Working Mom’s Guide to Life , released May 28, 2019 by Our Sunday Visitor Press. My blog, The Catholic ...
I think I've finally been able to pin down why I'm so bothered about the reaction to the Pope's infamous "rabbits" com...
Let's celebrate! Sadly, I don't think I'd like this drink -- I'm not a fan of gin and I don't like olives. But I ...
It's not just the typical busy life of working full time plus five kids... it's not just the post-vacation scrambling to catch up......