The Edel Gathering 2014 - Day 1

I'm jumping on the Edel-recap bandwagon (mostly as a way to avoid the stacks of laundry and dirty kitchen I really need to deal with today). But I'm going to do a three-part post, because otherwise I'm going to be sitting at my computer all. day. long. trying to cram it into one super-long post. So, here's Edel Gathering, Day 1!

I wasn't able to start packing or laundry until I got off of work on Thursday afternoon, so I was up much later than I wanted to be.

We were up at 4:30 in order to get to the airport by 7am (we picked up our friends Michaela and Luisa on the way). 

After an uneventful flight, we arrived in Austin!

I called Collin to let him know that we'd arrived safely, and he gave me some bad news. His paternal grandfather, Norman, passed away early Friday morning. I was already in the air when he got the call. So while I was at the airport bus stop waiting for the bus to La Quinta, I called my boss and arranged to take bereavement leave from work so Collin could fly to North Dakota the following Monday for the funeral. I was sad for Collin and his family, but I knew Norman had lived a long, full life (he was 92 when he died) and had suffered a lot in the last year or so before he passed. I was glad he was finally at peace.

By the time we got to the La Quinta, I was starving - neither Luisa nor I had had anything to eat other than a granola bar before we boarded the plane.

After checking in, Luisa, Peter, and I walked around the downtown area a bit and found a Quizno's. Then we headed back to our room to get ready for the "Cocktails and Crazy Shoes" party.

It was so much fun. So many women! So many crazy shoes!

These were mine. $7 at Saver's!

The winner (deservedly so) had glued her kids' toys to her shoes! Ha! I wish I had thought of that.

And there were babies EVERYWHERE! In slings, in strollers, in wombs. Peter made some friends. :)

We went back to our room about 11pm, exhausted but happy. Peter was so revved up he didn't want to sleep, but I finally coaxed him down and collapsed into bed.

Stay tuned for day 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and courteous, and I will reciprocate.

Note to commenters: sometimes long comments, or comments that contain links, are sent to the comment moderation folder (or sometimes the spam folder). If you comment and it doesn't show up right away, chances are it went to comment moderation or spam. Rather than re-posting your comment, please e-mail me and ask me to check these folders. Thanks!

Welcome to The Catholic Working Mother

Click here to order The Catholic Working Mom’s Guide to Life , released May 28, 2019 by Our Sunday Visitor Press. My blog,  The Catholic ...